Saturday, December 10, 2011

Lunar Eclipse - Marin Headlands - 12/10/11

Lunar Eclipse from Rodeo Beach

          I stepped out of my house well before sunrise and was excited to see the partially eclipsed moon still fairly high in the sky. My destination was the iconic sea stacks on Rodeo Beach in the Marin Headlands. I pulled up to the Bunker Hill Tunnel and followed several cars through. Any other morning at this early of an hour I would have had the place to myself, but with a full lunar eclipse set to occur just before sunrise, the headlands became an early morning hot spot.
          I walked down to the south end of Rodeo Beach where the tide was just low enough to allow passage to the sea stacks.
          There were already three photographers near the rock and two more arrived after I got there. As dawn grew closer the eclipse progressed leaving the moon a glowing orange color.

Lunar Eclipse Rodeo Beach

          Unfortunately the moon disappeared behind a layer of distant marine fog before reaching the horizon line where the moon would appear the largest.
          I then walked over to Rodeo Lagoon and watched a few clouds turn pink during sunrise.

Dawn at Rodeo Beach


Sunrise Color at Rodeo Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment